[ ♪ ♪ ]
[Katie Simpson] This is a story about
the President of the United States
challenging something
that is important to Canada.
Important to Canada's business community.
[Trump] If it doesn't work out that's going to be fine for the country
for our country.
It won't be fine for Canada.
So there was a lot of Canadian pride
sort of intertwined into this story.
[Freeland] We have entered a new more intensive phase of engagement.
[Simpson] It's important to remember that these talks
they started in what? August of 2017 and
dragged out until October of 2018
[Freeland ] For Canada our focus is on getting a
good deal not just any deal
But it really picked up over the last --
It was like August when it really exploded
[Freeland] We have brought you some popcicles
[Man off camera] Thank you.
[Freeland] We'll see you guys later.
[Simpson] The weather was so brutal.
In that last stretch in August everyone was just so exhausted
and people were sweating in places they didn't know they had sweat glands
I don't have my glasses on because it's too hot to
wear your glasses here.
Hold on, I'm just going take a look around the corner
I think someone's coming.
If you ever told me it would be so hot
and I'd be on TV
and I A) wouldn't be wearing my glasses.
And B) wouldn't be wearing sleeves
I'd say you're crazy.
But that's how hot it is.
And while there's a huge level of respect between
the reporters — and we're all friends
but we do believe in friendly competition.
And you would get this sense of great dread
you know, "What if someone has something that I don't have?"
[Reporter shouting] Deal or no deal mister prime minister? Deal or no deal?
There's nothing more disappointing than that feeling of
"oh how come I didn't have that?"
So everyone really was pushing to
try and get more information
and get that information to your viewers as
quickly as possible
Senior Canadian officials tell me there
is a reasonable chance of success
some kind of deal can be reached by Friday.
[ ♪ ♪ ]
[Simpson] Now when journalists had been setting up
in front of this building there's
a staircase there and
I guess security didn't like us standing on the
staircase so we all moved on to the sidewalk
and so when Jared Kushner came
up we sort of broke the rules a few times
Oh hold on, here comes Jared Kushner
I'm just gonna step it of the way.
W e're gonna get a shot.
Maybe he'll say hello to us.
Hold on one second.
I'm just gonna go up the steps.
How things are going?
Well we tried.
And I'm not allowed to go on the steps
so I'm probably gonna not be welcome to go back
on the steps again
but we might as well try right.
So nothing from Jared Kushner.
There you go anyway. So I'll send it back inside to you.
So that was another one of those really long days in Washington
It had been terribly hot
everyone was so sun tanned and sunburned.
Actually I'm still sunburned.
My skin has not gone back to that normal tone it is
from those long days in Washington
But Chrystia Freeland and the Canadian delegation was
coming back to the U.S. Trade Representative's building
for an evening meeting.
[Simpson to Kushner] Will there be a deal tonight?
[Simpon] Of course at 8:00 p.m.
the normal security apparatus is is not
necessarily in place at these government buildings.
[Simpson to Kushner] How are things going on NAFTA with Canada?
Is it okay?
[Another reporter ask] Actually, how is it going with Canada?
Progress tonight?
[Simpson] And so when Jared Kushner arrived
for that 8:00 p.m. meeting he got to the
front door and he pulled on the door and it was locked.
Someone at security is obviously
not there hearing him sort of pull at the door.
And so he has to get on his phone
and call security to get someone to come
and let him in.
In this moment there were opportunities
for reporters to start
asking some questions
and so we did
[Simpson to Kushner] Is Canada making any compromises?
But when it was quite clear that Kushner
was not going to answer those questions we just
kind of stood back and let the moment kind of breathe.
[ ♪ ♪ ]
And it was so awkward
and so uncomfortable
one of my colleagues actually stopped recording
because it was it was so uncomfortable.
That moment, it was picked up by the
American networks and the American media.
And so they used that moment sort of as
a bigger metaphor
for some of the challenges
going on inside the White House.
So it was one of those moments
that picked up and was more than a NAFTA moment.
Rosie I just got off the phone with the senior source who said to me
just very quickly
deal is done.
It is a done deal.
It's been a year of so much
travel and so much work
and really putting yourself into the story.
I recently turned 35
and what if my friends,unbeknownst to me
she decided to
make me a NAFTA cake
or a USMCA cake.
The icing was red white and blue and
then out of fondant
she made the stairs to the USTR building.
She put Jared Kushner and Robert Lighthizer
on those front stairs.
And then she made a fondant version of me
standing at the bottom of the stairs
and there was a big door on the cake.
Just to sort of be the moment
where Jared Kushner was was locked out.
And actually, I'll tell you something funny.
A lot of journalists
were at my birthday party
and we were all tweeting photos of it because it's
kind of funny
and someone within the Canadian government
saw it and flipped it to Jared Kushner
And Jared Kushner thought it was very funny.
To which Jared Kushner asked for my email
and then emailed to wish me a happy birthday.
Which I thought was unusual
and so I wrote back and I said, "Forgive
me for being skeptical
as to whether this is the real Mr. Kushner or whether
one of my friends is playing an elaborate trick on me
and he wrote back
saying this is not Mr. Kushner this is Jared.
This is not fake news.
And he wished me a happy birthday.
Which was the strangest thing
I think that really
outside of the talks
outside of the process
it was a strange moment
For more infomation >> Two Injured After Car Goes Over Hillside In Mount Washington - Duration: 0:13.
For more infomation >> Washington Wins 4th Annual Dubtown Throwdown - Duration: 0:56.
For more infomation >> 12/21/18 6:09 AM (Washington Ave S - 3rd Ave / 4th Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55415, USA) - Duration: 13:59.
For more infomation >> Washington is on the brink of a partial government shutdown - Duration: 1:34. 

For more infomation >> Washington County, TN inmate dies Thursday night - Duration: 0:30.
For more infomation >> Washington County Tables and Amends Vote for Jail Expansion (fox) - Duration: 0:22. 
Không có nhận xét nào:
Đăng nhận xét