Hey, what's going on? In the previous video, you learnt about the Past simple tense.
Today, you're gonna learn three possible ways of pronouncing -ed. Let's get started.
The past simple is the form of a verb used to describe an action that happened before the present time
and is no longer happening. It is usually made by adding -ed.
That's what you learnt from the previous lessons, right?
Do you know that when we add -ed to verbs ending in different sounds,
we will pronounce -ed variously as well?
In fact, there are three possible ways of pronouncing -ed.
The first one is [t], T sound.
To ensure you guys can hear me clearly, I'm gonna pronounce this sound as [T], much louder than usual.
The second one is [id].
I'm sure you won't have any problem with this because it's quite easy.
Lastly, the third way of pronouncing -ed is [d], D sound.
I'm gonna pronounce this sound as [D], much louder than usual, especially in this lesson,
so that you can distinguish this one with [T], T sound.
Many students don't actually understand when they should pronounce -ed as [T]
and when they should pronounce -ed as [D].
I admit this is quite complicated.
Therefore, I'm gonna do my best to keep this simple and clear things up for you.
First of all, let's talk about [T]. When should we pronounce -ed as [T]?
Well, we pronounce -ed as [T] when we add -ed to verbs ending in the sounds:
[p], [k], [f], [s], [ʃ], [tʃ], [θ].
It's quite hard for you guys to distinguish those sounds, right?
So, to explain better, I'd like to pronounce these sounds much louder than usual.
Listen to the sounds again: [P], [K], [F], [S], [ʃ], [tʃ], [θ].
In the reality, of course, we don't pronounce the ending sounds like that.
For instance, we just say "hope". We don't say "hoPe".
I just pronounce those ending sounds that way for better explanation in this particular lesson.
Please keep that in mind.
Let me give you some examples so that you can understand more. Look at this table.
The first column is "Ending sounds". Let's say we have [P].
In the second column, let's put one verb, hope. The ending sound of "hope" is [P].
Please don't confuse between the ending sound of a verb and the last letter of that verb.
The ending sound of the verb "hope" is [P], while the last letter of that verb is "e".
We're talking about the ending sound, not the last letter.
Next, when we add -ed to the verb "hope" which has the ending sound [P], we're gonna pronounce -ed as [T].
hoped [t], hoped [t]
For example, I hoped [t] he could pass the exam.
Now, let's check out the other ending sounds. [k], [K].
risk [k], risk [k]
When we add -ed to "risk", we're gonna pronounce it as risked [t], risked [t].
The rescuers risked [t] their lives to save her.
Next, [f], [F]
laugh [f], laugh [f]
When we add -ed to "laugh", we're gonna pronounce it as laughed [t], laughed [t].
They laughed [t] at her jokes.
Then,
[s], [S]
miss [s], miss [s]
missed [t], missed [t]
I missed [t] the beginning of the show.
Let's move on
[ʃ], [ʃ]
wash [ʃ], wash [ʃ]
When we add -ed to "wash", we're gonna pronounce it as washed [t], washed [t].
David washed [t] his face and combed his hair.
Next,
[tʃ], [tʃ]
watch [tʃ], watch [tʃ]
Here is how we pronounce this verb when we add -ed to it, watched [t], watched [t]
I watched [t] TV for a couple of hours.
Finally,
[θ], [θ]
froth [θ], froth [θ]
When we add -ed to "froth", we're gonna pronounce it as frothed [t], frothed [t].
The waves frothed [t] as they crashed [t] onto the beach.
That is how we pronounce -ed as [T] when we add -ed to verbs. Let's move on to the second one.
[id]. When should we pronounce -ed as [id]? Well, this is really really simple.
We pronounce -ed as [id] when we add -ed to verbs ending in the sounds: [d], [t].
To explain better, I'd like to pronounce these sounds much louder than usual.
Listen to the sounds again: [D], [T].
Let me give you some examples so that you can understand more. Look at this table.
Let's say we have [D] in the first column, Ending sounds.
In the second column, let's put one verb, end. The ending sound of "end" is [D].
Next, when we add -ed to the verb "end" which has the ending sound [D], we're gonna pronounce -ed as [id].
ended [id], ended [id]
For example, the game ended [id] in a draw.
Let's look at the next ending sound. [t], [T]
accept [t], accept [t]
When we add -ed to "accept", we're gonna pronounce it as accepted [id], accepted [id].
She accepted [id] the job offer.
That is how we pronounce -ed as [id] when we add -ed to verbs.
If you're with me this far, that means you have completed around 95% of the road.
The rest is too easy. Let's move on to the last one and I'll tell you why.
When should we pronounce -ed as [D]?
The answer is we do that when we add -ed to verbs ending in voiced sounds.
There is a long list of voiced sounds.
Fortunately, you don't have to remember them at all. Let me show you how.
We pronounce -ed as [D] when we add -ed to all other verbs. What do I mean by "all other verbs"?
Remember there are three possible ways of pronouncing -ed.
Let's say there are three groups, 1, 2 and 3.
When we add -ed to verbs ending in the sounds in group 1, we pronounce -ed as [T].
When we add -ed to verbs ending in the sounds in group 2, we pronounce -ed as [id].
"All other verbs" mean the ones which do not have the ending sounds in groups 1 and 2.
When we add -ed to verbs in group 3, we pronounce -ed as [D].
Thus, your task is just to remember the ending sounds in groups 1 and 2. Why is that?
The reason is if a verb doesn't have the ending sounds in groups 1 and 2, then it must be in group 3.
It's that simple. Hence, you don't have to remember the ending sounds in group 3 anymore.
Let me give you some examples. Look at this table.
Let's say we have [n], N sound, in the first column.
I'm gonna pronounce this sound much louder than usual for better explanation, [N].
In the second column, let's put one verb, phone. The ending sound of "phone" is [N].
Next, when we add -ed to the verb "phone" which has the ending sound [N], we're gonna pronounce -ed as [D].
phoned [d], phoned [d]
Why is that? The reason is the ending sound [N] does not belong to groups 1 and 2.
Therefore, it must be in group 3.
For example, she phoned [d] just after lunch.
Let's look at the next ending sound. [v].
For better explanation, I also pronounce this sound much louder, [V].
move [v], move [v]
When we add -ed to "move", we're gonna pronounce it as moved [d], moved [d].
Share prices moved [d] up slowly yesterday.
That is how we pronounce -ed as [D] when we add -ed to verbs.
Some people may ask "how do I know the ending sound of a verb
if I don't even have any idea how to pronounce the infinitive form of that verb correctly?"
Do you have that question as well? If so, it's time for you to get the answer.
All you need to do is to open an English dictionary, Cambridge dictionary for example.
Then you can type a verb. Let's say we're gonna type "announce".
After that, you can find the pronunciation of that verb easily. You can also see the ending sound of the verb.
For instance, the ending sound of the verb "announce" is [S]. You can see it right here.
Remember we need to know the ending sound of the verb, not the last letter of that one.
The last letter of "announce" is "e". However, the ending sound of "announce" is [S].
That is the one you're looking for.
As you know the ending sound of a verb, you can check whether it belongs to group 1, 2 or 3.
Then, you know how to pronounce -ed when you add -ed to that verb. In this situation, [S] is in group 1.
Thus, we're gonna pronounce -ed as [T] when we add -ed to "announce".
announced [t], announced [t]
Let's check another one. "investigate". As you can see, the last letter of "investigate" is "e".
However, the ending sound of "investigate" is [T]. That's what we need to know.
Since [T] is in group 2, we're gonna pronounce -ed as [id] when we add -ed to "investigate".
investigated [id], investigated [id]
Let me give you one more example. "rob". The ending sound of "rob" is [B].
Can you find [B] in group 1? No, it's not there. How about group 2? No, it's not there either.
So, it must be in group 3 then. When we add -ed to verbs in group 3, we pronounce -ed as [D].
robbed [d], robbed [d]
That's quite enough for theory, right? It's time for you to practice.
In this first assignment, listen and match how -ed is pronounced for these verbs (1-3) with the symbols (a-c).
Here we go.
Have you finished? Let's check out the answer.
Remember there are three possible ways of pronouncing -ed
depending on the ending sounds of the verbs you're adding -ed to.
Look at number 1, the ending sound of the verb "ask" is [K]. It is in group 1.
Therefore, we pronounce -ed as [T] in this case.
asked [t], asked [t].
Number 2, the verb "mend" has the ending sound [D]. It is in group 2. Thus, we pronounce -ed as [id].
mended [id], mended [id].
The third verb, "call", doesn't have the ending sound in groups 1 and 2. Hence, it must be in group 3.
We pronounce -ed as [D] when we add -ed to verbs in group 3.
called [d], called [d].
Now, let's move on to the second assignment.
Listen and write each of these verbs in the correct column of the table below,
according to how -ed is pronounced.
Have you finished? Let's check out the answer.
Look at the first column where we're gonna pronounce -ed as [T] for the following verbs:
asked, finished, hoped, liked, looked, watched, wished.
Those verbs have the ending sounds in group 1.
In the second column, we're gonna pronounce -ed as [id] for the following verbs:
ended, invented, needed, started, wanted.
Those verbs have the ending sounds in group 2.
Finally, in the third column, we're gonna pronounce -ed as [D] for all other verbs
which do not have the ending sounds in groups 1 and 2.
appeared, enjoyed, improved, occurred, played, remembered
Please practice by saying the verbs in this assignment as many times as possible.
Let's go to the last assignment of the day. Read these sentences aloud as many times as possible.
Then say if they are true or false for you. If they are false, make a sentence about the topic which is true.
Use this table to help you with -ed pronunciation.
I'm gonna read all of these sentences aloud one time. You can practice with me.
1 I never watched television when I was a child.
2 My parents wanted me to study medicine.
3 I started studying English when I was 11.
4 I usually enjoyed myself at school.
5 I never worked hard for exams when I was a child. I just studied a little the night before.
6 At school, when I got high marks, I was surprised.
7 When I couldn't do homework, I asked my parents to help me.
8 When the school holidays came, I felt excited.
There's one thing I'd like to remind you guys.
The words "surprised" in number 6 and "excited" in number 8 are both adjectives.
However, the way we pronounce -ed in those words
are just exactly the same as what you have learnt so far in this lesson.
Well, let's see whether these sentences are true or false for me. I think number 1 is false.
Actually, I watched television a lot when I was a child.
Alright, it's your turn to practice now.
That's it for today. I hope I've cleared things up a little bit for you
and helped you understand how to pronounce -ed correctly.
If you've got any questions, please post those in the comment.
If you like this lesson, please Like and Share. I'll see you in the next video.
Không có nhận xét nào:
Đăng nhận xét